Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Spring 2015 Ready-to-Wear New York Fashion Week Trend Review

New York Fashion Week isn't over yet, but I don't care. I'm reviewing it now as it's fresh in my mind. Day 5 and Day 6 can deal with it.

I've just looked at about 20 shows and that's more than enough to decipher main trends, find a couple favourite designers for the season, and be disappointed by your previous favourites, because no designer is consistently and constantly amazing every season. I recently watched a TED Talk where Elizabeth Gilbert, Author of Eat, Pray, Love, talked about this issue that plagues the psyche of every creative person. Sometimes you write a brilliant book that Oprah pimps and it gets turned into a blockbuster hit starring Julia Roberts. And sometimes you write a book no one cares about. I would like to say this sort of thing is out of an artist's control, but I've been told that's the outlook of a depressed person. Instead I will say: Alexander Wang and my dearest Olsen Twins, you will always be my shining stars, despite your underwhelming Spring/Summer 2015 shows. And in light of L'Wren Scott's passing away earlier this year, please book a vacation at least once a year.

Moving on...

Introducing: The Showered & Employable Hippie


Karen Walker S/S15
Diane Von Furstenberg S/S15
Coach S/S15
Tomas Maier S/S15
Ulla Johnson S/S15
Rodebjer S/S15






Remember back in 2004 when Alfie came out and everyone went nuts over Sienna Miller and her lazy bohemian look? No, honestly it was really lazy. She never brushed her hair and she usually looked like she just woke up from a 3 day drug bender and grabbed what clothing was on the floor and left the apartment to walk her dog. That's mainly what she was photographed doing, anyways. 

Sienna Miller in Alfie
Kate Moss too was starting to get a huge amount of candid press and she also looked unkempt and generally drugged up with her unkempt, drugged-up boyfriend Pete Doherty. Go figure.

Kate Moss and Pete Doherty at Glastonbury
For some reason, these two sloppy Brits managed to give birth to over 5 years of non-stop bohemian obsession that dominated the runways and retail stores thereafter. I enjoyed it for about five seconds, and then I realized I like structure in my clothing and life, which is a bit anal retentive for a then 16 year old, but believe it or not I used to have goals and priorities. Fast forward to now, it looks as though designers are looking to have a bit of a hippie revival, but *not* a dirty hippie revival. In fact, you could probably wear some of the above looks to a job interview. Fascinating stuff.


Introducing: Shirt Dresses for Everyone! Yay!

Rodebjer S/S15
Nanette Lepore S/S15
Karen Walker S/S15
Zimmerman S/S15
Donna Karen S/S15
Altuzarra S/S15

While I am most excited about channelling my inner Farrah Fawcett, this trend was much more prominent and developed on the runways. Shirt dresses for one and all! No matter how juvenile, prude, sexual, or over-the-top glamorous you are, there is a shirt dress for you this season. I know it's not the most exciting wardrobe piece, but it's easy and typically machine washable so find solace in that. Other noteworthy runway trends this season so far: weird hats (I blame Pharrell), pointy flats, scarves, belts, draping/flowing/wrapping tops, and stripes. 

(Photo credit: www.style.com)

No comments :