Saturday, September 11, 2010

Ladylike


Earrings & Heels: Vintage
Dress: Foxy

I have been sick for the past few days, but I managed to pull myself together for a new post today. I've been using my mother's camera which confuses me greatly. I have no idea why, but the amount of light used in flash mode varies and then I have to work with different levels of brightness/contrast in my photos. I tried to adjust them in photoshop, but they're still quite different. I feel like I have a motherly glow in the last shot haha oh well.

I always pull this Marilyn Monroe look out of my closet when I need some perking up. It's very delicate looking and it evokes the most charming solicitations and reactions from men. I get called Miss and they will go out of their way to open doors for me. The usual offensive cat calls are replaced with whistles (cat calls are those random comments/names that men shout out at women when they drive or walk by). It's interesting how we're programmed to respond to social cues with such alacrity. I enjoy taking full advantage of it. Like they say: act like a lady; make a man be a man. 

This reminds me of an article I once read written by Steve Harvey. He had the most chivalrous things to say including:

"I teach my sons that they cannot get in the car until their mothers and sisters are in the car. I teach my sons that if I turn around and you are in that car and your mother and sisters are not in that car, I am crushing you because suppose something happens -- a dog attack or something -- and we are in the car and the girls are not, how can we protect them? So that can't happen."
That has got to be the sweetest thing ever. We need more men like Steve!

7 comments :

The Social Mediatrix said...

Love that dress, wish I was sweet and feminine enough for it.
Thanks for your comment on my blog. As to your suggestion, I have changed the font and increased the size, as I myself often find it hard to read! But as to the colour scheme, I've considered numerous changes to it but I like having the black background as there aren't many other bloggers who do (most as white), and because (unfortunately) there's another blogger with a similar name to her blog as mine so if I changed to a white background and a different font colour, they'd be even more similar! But thanks for the suggestion, maybe I'll have a rethink again soon!

Jazzy E (Hivenn) said...

love all the white
xx

Beverley said...

aw, so pretty. i love the white, especially the detailing on the bottom of the dress! lovely lovely :)

http://bareleopard.blogspot.com/

Phuong said...

lovely dress!

Lis-x- said...

What a great dress! Lovely subtle detailing.
Love the blog!


Off The Wardrobe

Becca. said...

lovely white dress, you look beautiful!

thankyou for the comment on my blog :)
XOXO, BECCA
www.fashion-train.co.uk

Niki said...

ooooo pretty lady!!!

sorry it took me so long to get back to you about this, but other vancouverites in the (fashion) blogosphere you should check out are:
Nicole - Le Mode du Jour
Lily - Bleed for Fashion
Peter - The Starving Stylist
Michael - The Haute Bitch (although I believe his blog is currently on hiatus. His older posts are hilarious nonetheless)
Anya - I'm the It Girl
Carolina - Closet Full of Nothing
Olivia - StyleStruck.ca
Teresa - Senses Inspired (not a fashion blog but an awesome foodie reviewing our city's restaurants)

There are seriously tons, I'll send over more when I remember them!