How to Wear a Maxi Skirt
- Because your lower body is swamped in free loose fabric you want to give yourself some form on the upper half. Wear a fitted top/jacket, tuck your top in, pull a waist belt over your skirt, or even show some belly in a cropped top like the girl on top above.
- Unless you are wearing a floor sweeping maxi length skirt you want the bottom of the skirt to hit below the half way point of your calves (where your legs are at their narrowest).
- If you are shorter you will want to skip on any heels with ankle straps as they will abrupt the eye line and therefore shorten the appearance of your legs.
- For those that are under 5'5" you may want to wear platform heels or wedges of some sort to counteract any swamping effect a long skirt will have on your frame (this will in fact create the illusion that you are taller). A drooping V-neck will also help lengthen out your body.
- Lastly, have fun! Maxi length skirts are dramatic and command attention so go for it. Fur vests, motorcycle jackets, gladiator heels etc...unless you are wearing a skirt with an interesting print you will be a blank slate unless you add some flair.