Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fashion on Screen Part 1



When you love fashion, and I mean really, REALLY love fashion you will have moments dating back to your childhood when you fell completely in love with an ensemble. You were captured. You were mesmerized. And you have an imprint laying dormant in your memory forever that will be evoked from time to time and warm fuzzies will be had.

As a child I kept note pads so I could write down outfits that I saw on TV or in movies. When tabloids became a phenomenon, I kept scrapbooks of magazine clippings. Now as an adult I save hundreds of photos on my computer and skim through them when I need some inspiration or some of those warm fuzzies.

This posting is dedicated to some of my favorite fashion moments forever tattooed in my memory and heart.

Sex and the City


I literally squealed when Carrie turned around and revealed the bunny tail on this skirt. I believe this was the first episode of SATC I ever watched. I must have been about 12 years old. This outfit is still my all time favorite from this show. As much as I love all the couture and extravagance SATC evolved into, the more down-to-earth looks with interesting quirks from the first few seasons were always my favorite. I definitely need to dedicate an entire blog post to more SATC favorites.

Rear Window


Any girl who watches Rear Window for the first time gasps when Grace Kelly, as Lisa Fremont, first makes her appearance in the above layered tulle and chiffon skirt that moves around beautifully as she begins to turn on the lights in her crippled boyfriend's apartment. You can view a clip of that memorable scene on youtube. A single strand of pearls, scrunched white gloves, open toed asymmetrical black heels, and a matching chiffon shoulder wrap together make Grace Kelly look like she could have literally walked off a page of Vogue in the 1950s.

Her green suit with a halter blouse beneath is no less of a masterpiece. Edith Head, the costume designer for this film, and many time over Oscar winner did a fantastic job with this film. I've shown Rear Window to so many people who never watch films from the 1950s and it always gets a great reception and a large part of it is the magnificent wardrobe.

The Devil Wears Prada

This movie was just too overwhelming to watch in theaters. There was so much to look at and so little screen time for each outfit. The scene where Miranda throws her coat and purse on Andy's desk repetitively in a week long sequence was TORTURE. I remember shouting out "NO, NO, I NEED MORE TIME!" at the theater screen.  Although I was able to find plenty of stills for Anne Hathaway's wardrobe many of my favorites I could not find, such as the Chanelesque school girl look so I compromised and collaged some screen caps below.
Overall, I think I preferred Emily Blunt's wardrobe, which was dominated by dark shades with lots of  edgy layering, boots, and waist belts. I imagine my wardrobe would resemble hers if I had thousands of dollars at my disposal.

I didn't expect to post so many photos of this film, but I got a little carried away. Next post will feature selections from 3 more movies whose fashions I have endlessly enjoyed.

Updated: Part 2 here.



(photos credited to emilyblunt.net, annehathawayfan.com, clothesonfilm.com)

10 comments :

Erin (penny. LA) said...

SJP can sure wear any outfit, can't she? I made screencaps of my favorite SATC outfits, and it's such great inspiration.

And this is a bit of a side note - I will always recall Emily Blunt's green eyeshadow in The Devil Wears Prada... I thought it was so striking!

minnja said...

Lovely,I can remember the great films:))

Hugs
minnja

http://minnja.blogspot.com/

DaisyLine said...

devil and satc are my favourite movies :D
have a nice day!
kisses
DaisyLine from http://daisyline.blogspot.com/

Zabrinah said...

This is a BRILLIANT idea for a post.

I love each and every outfit you posted, including the bunny tail skirt!!!

:)

Best wishes from one blogger to another,

~Zabrinah

JONE CONDE said...

Congrats for this amazing post! :)

Unknown said...

loved this post!!! you collected such an amazing array of photos... and i totally agree, i did the same with the tail, i thought this outfit was GORGEOUS, the tail got me laughing, both important in my eyes :) love your blog, definitely following!

http://www.repeatwithbrazen.blogspot.com

Lily said...

Hi Tracey,

Thank you for all your comments on my blog. It's always great to find other local bloggers who actually know what they're talking about. :)

Great post BTW. I love all the stills, especially from The Devil Wears Prada!

XOXO,
Lily

www.bleedforfashion.com

Tracey said...

Glad everyone liked the post! And thanks for stopping by Lily :)

Style Souk said...

This must be the most gorgeous and inspiring blog post of ALL time...

I adore the witty and jewel-coloured Carrie Bradshaw skirt, but my favourite must be Grace Kelly.

My father and I spent a lazily indulgent afternoon last week visiting the 'Grace Kelly: Style Icon' exhibit at the V&A, here in London.

Kelly's beauty was astounding, but - even more so - her highly informed and innate sense of style.

Sarah x

P.S: I do precisely the same as you, endlessly clicking and saving images of beautiful clothes onto my Macbook - so many, in fact, it has become ridiculously slowed as though powered by a donkey! ;0)

Tracey said...

bhahaha yeah mine is donkey slow too!

I wish I could have seen that exhibit! I would have loved it.